Saturday 9 November 2013

Beware of Men Who Buy You Red Silk Dresses


It has been in my wardrobe for some years; I used to wear it for happy occasions but have put a little more weight on recently and so it was just hanging unworn and uncherished. SO I took it to a dress agency where  a percentage of the money realised for good clothing goes to my favourite charity The Hospice of the Good Shepherd, Backford, Chester. It was a wrench to let it go and every time I opened my wardrobe I missed it. But happily it didn't sell! I could have donated it but decided instead to bring it home. Its silk feels wonderful to touch and even just holding it is a glorious sensation, whether or not I wear it again!

Its original arrival, however, was somewhat ill-starred; I had met a new man (not a "new man") and we went to dancing classes together which I really enjoyed; when we progressed to the Tango he bought this gorgeous dress for me; it was to be my 'Tango dress'.

Well, he tangoed off all too soon and I was left with the dress. But I don't regret that. The dress is a beautiful thing and I am happy to have it back in my hands again --- and if I made an effort it might be back on my person one of these days. I'll have to take up swimming ( oh, but I hate it - ploughing up and down in a dull pool-house with the same view over and over; on no, give me a walk in the woods any day!

This is the second time in my life a man has bought me a luxury piece of clothing - I don't know what that says about me. But both times all I'm left with is the clothing! I'm very tempted to think that giving clothing is a worrying sign...

No comments:

Post a Comment