Sunday 22 February 2015

TELLING YOUR DAUGHTERS TO B.E.A.T OVARIAN CANCER



For ovarian cancer awareness month in March, Ovacome, the UK charity for the disease, are urging mothers to tell their daughters about the tell-tale symptoms of Ovarian Cancer which are:

Bloating;

Eating less (no appetite);

Abdominal pain;

Talk to your GP!


It is, I feel, wrongly referred to here as the 'silent disease': in the USA it is called the 'whispering disease' and this I think is far more accurate.


Here is a poem, which is my way of telling:





Daughters, I need to tell you


about pain each time I bent over,

about being so breathless
I felt my lungs were leaving my chest.

About my stomach
huge as a full-term pregnancy.

About my surgeon’s eyes above his mask,
the brilliant blue of them.

About pressing the button
on the morphine pump –what you thought

was ‘courage/cheerfulness’
was simply outright stoned.

About the nights my body was so full
of knives I couldn’t sleep

and when death came in to tempt me
I almost welcomed it.

About the utter focus of my fight to live.

Daughters, I need to tell you this,

because I want it never to happen
to either of you.




 Gill McEvoy








No comments:

Post a Comment